Monday, April 14, 2008

Why Miller Bees?


I've been enjoying following Jordan's blog and been amazed by these industrious little creatures. I have been afraid of bees since a child when I inadvertently walked up to some older children playing "Throw the rock at the hive." They threw a rock and hit the hive dead on and ran to hide. By the time I understood, it was too late. I had bees everywhere in my clothes and dozens of stings. I was 4. So this terror is fairly deeply rooted.

I became intrigued again when a hive formed in my yard a couple years ago. After reading about the species I found they would simply go away at the end of the summer and choose to leave them be. :-)

Last Friday, Miller had a birthday and only asked that people consider committing to actually doing something to improve the environment, something they had been thinking about or debating about but not actually doing. So, I decided it was time to face the fear and do something good and meaningful with it.

Saturday I went to Beez Neez in Snohomish Washington and purchased a beginner hive kit. I upgraded to include a full beekeeper suit. That's right, I did mention the terror thing. Wearing the suit around the house, I look more like I am about to work with plutonium. I'll post pictures a bit later.

I got my hive boxes and painted the exterior surfaces with white latex paint. I am scoping out different locations in my back yard for the hive. On Wednesday I will pickup my bees in Snohomish in the afternoon and place them into their new home.

Why am I keeping bees?


  1. Face and work through this fear.

  2. Do something good for the environment. Hey bees need places to live in the city too!

  3. I was motivated to act by a call to action at Miller's party.

  4. Rhonda's dad used to keep bees and perhaps I'll score some points. (Know what I mean? nudge nudge, wink wink! say no more.)

  5. Bee keeping suit is great for scaring Tori's friends, especially Jenny!

  6. Highly local honey is great for fending off pollen allergies.

  7. Honey is yummy.

  8. Honey Mead is yummy too.

  9. Honey makes great Christmas presents.

  10. Bees are inspiring in their industriousness, organization, and cooperation.
In this blog, I will post our progress and adventures.

Thank you for watching.

No comments: