Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Hello Ladies!

I picked up 21 pounds of bees today. When I got there, the place was quite literally buzzing. Stacks of bees 4 feet high in 3 and 4 pound boxes not to mention the dozens of rouge runaways flying about here and there.


I called Jordan to let him know I was on my way so he could meet me at the house. When I got home I got everything into position and got into my bee suit. Jordan showed up in just a hooded jacket. I hope to someday have that level of comfort.

I placed 5 of the frames into the box leaving a space between the 4th and 5th to hang the little cage that holds the queen. Jordan also suggested that I prepare the feeder jars in order to minimize the time between opening the bees and having food for them to eat.


Before opening the bees, we sprayed them with sugar syrup to make them feel a little content. Hey that works for me too.


Jordan gave me instructions on extracting the feeding can from the cage and removing the queen cage. I was very glad to have Jordan's help here. First, the cage is humming and heavy. I have this big suit on and gloves. and once the can was out of the box, everything was covered with bees. There was a lot going on!


Jordan removed the queen cage while I set the box and can down trying to not hurt any bees. It turns out in keeping bees, one inevitably squished bees. I still have to come to terms with this. I just don't like to hurt things.


The queen cage is shipped with a cork in it. Jordan removed the cork and inserted a marshmallow. (No many of you who know Jordan probably did not know what he always carries marshmallows in his pocket! ;-) Actually the marshmallow is provided by the bee place for this purpose. It blocks the queens introduction to the hive until the other bees have become acquainted with her and the hive. They eat their way out in a couple days. I may have dreams tonight of eating my way out of a marshmallow cage.


Next I turned the box upside down and shook it over the box into the space where the remaining 4 frames will go. Now, there is something wrong feeling about shaking a container of bees to get them to come out. The bees were really docile and seemed quite uninterested in us. I was still quite happy to be inside of my suit and gloves. And was super happy to have Jordan there as my danger meter was pegged and adrenaline was pumping.

I slowly placed the remaining frames, nudging aside ones that were in the way. Placed an inner cover with a hole for the top feeder, and placed the top feeder in place with 3 jars of syrup and the feeding can from the shipping cage. The shipping box I placed by the opening to the hive so the remaining girls can find their way into the hive easily.



Jordan had to head home to hive his bees and get Alyssa's 3 cages of bees to her. I stood for a while just watching them get acquainted to their new home. They will not defecate while in the hive or in transit, so after a day or two of being couped up they tend to fly about some and do their business. One even landed on my veil and squirted me right on the cheek. It stunk a little, but not a big deal.




Rhonda was all around taking pictures with a zoom and not giving the bees much thought. Here I was trembling in my shoes and she was just brushing bees out of her hair. It was really interesting looking at them up close. They have little heart shaped faces and fuzzy bodies. This one landed on my arm and was grooming itself in much the same way as a cat would.


You can see more pictures in Rhonda's SmugMug gallery.


Thanks Jordan for your help and support!



No comments: