Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Preparing for the ladies.


This evening I placed the hive on a nice patio area that gets good sun early in the morning. The space was not level so I cut some boards to level the hive side-to-side and give it a slight tilt forward, about an inch, for drainage as suggested in "Beekeeping for Dummies".



I have made a solution of sugar syrup (5 pounds of sugar in 2.5 quarts of water) this is used to feed the bees until they have accumulated their honey stash. The syrup is placed into a feeder consisting of four upside down Ball canning jars with perforated lids at the top of the hive.


Since these jars came in a package of 12 I have used them to store the entire batch of syrup.


I have arranged to pickup bee packages for Jordan and Alyssa too saving them a trip up to Snohomish (30 minutes each way). This has the added benefit of Jordan being present when I hive my bees.
So my first close encounter will be driving home from Snohomish with 5 packages of bees buzzing along with me.
And I am super excited!

No comments: